Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Acupuncture

So I mentioned before that I am planning to do some acupuncture when we do IVF. I called today to get more information and was a bit shocked. Let me start by saying I am a skeptic by nature (not about whether acupuncture will work but about people swindling me). So I talked to a bunch of different acupuncturists and got different prices and plans from each of them. The women that seemed the most knowledgable suggested that we do 5 treatments in the next week (with a price tag of $500). Is this normal? Should I start this early if I am not doing IVF for a couple of months? Can I just wait until I am doing IVF to get acupuncture?

3 comments:

  1. I have done acu for the last year. $100 per session is normal. I was told that starting before a cycle, prepares your body for IVF. I personally have no idea if it really works, but I do think it relaxes me so that is really helpful during a cycle. Good luck with this, I figure, its worth a shot, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Z told me that acupuncture really helps with ovarian function because it increases blood flow to your ovaries. I think that's crucial right around the IVF time, but it also helps to start earlier so that you can try to enhance your ovarian function more. I'm not really sure though. And I don't see why you would need to go 5 times in a week, that seems outlandish. I'm probably gonna be doing 2x per week. Haven't started looking into it yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she may want you to go a few to many times... In Cali I went to one and it was $70 the first visit for the initial setup and $50 every session after that. She of course wanted me to go every week, but that included the herbs she wanted me to take. I don't think you would benefit more going everyday. Its really relaxing and I feel asleep every time- even when she hooked me up to that battery thing- yeah they do that! ha ha. You will like it. It helped me feel a little "stronger" emotionally per say. :)

    ReplyDelete