Saturday, August 17, 2013

18 months

I feel like I literally just did my 17 month post, partly because I did it late and also because time is flying like always. I don't think we have had any major milestones this past month. Although you are using a spoon to eat your yogurt in the morning (still pretty messy but getting better on a daily basis) and drinking from cups.   I have been dreading the 18 month milestone for some reason. It seems that suddenly there seem to be a ton of expectations and unlike in the early months some of them we aren't meeting, specifically  language milestones.

Here is the list I have been looking at for language:

1. Understand the meaning of in and out, off and on?
I am actually not too sure about this one. The boys put things in and out of containers when we are playing together or when they are playing by themselves. However I am not sure if when I say "put the ball in the box" that they know the word "in" or if it is repitition. Honestly we haven't really worked with "on and off"

2. Points to more than 2 body parts.
We have been working on this for the past couple of weeks and they get feet 100% of the time but only point to their head and tummy about 60% of the time when I que them. Sometimes I say "where is your head" and they point to their mouths, eyes, or ears.

3. Use at least 20 words consistently?
Well they use about 15 sounds/words consistently although not every day. I would say in a day they probably use 10 of their words. Furthermore the "words" are more like sounds. Like mentioned in previous posts cookie sounds is just cook, or cracker is just crk (more like a sound). They still say dis instead of this, dat instead of that and call everything that moves a cark (car)  or cruck (truck)

4. Respond with words or gestures to simple questions (Where’s teddy? What’s that?)?
They do point to things when I ask where they are but they don't say anthing. If I say where is the bear they will generally bring it to me or gesture over to it. They might on a very rare occassion gesture and say dat (that)

5. Demonstrate some pretend play with toys (gives teddy bear a drink, pretends a bowl is a hat)?
YES!!!! They do this :)

6. Make at least four different consonant sounds (p ,b, m, n, d, g, w, h)?
YES!!! This one too!!!!

7. Enjoy being read to and sharing simple books with you?
Well if by enjoying they mean constantly bringing me books, sitting on my lap, flipping 3 pages, pointing out some objects and then quickly running away then yes they love doing this

8. Point to pictures using one finger?
Yes they do point to pictures and when I say the name of the item they seem to nod or just look at me intently. They don't try to repeat it or anything. Although sometimes they will say book, truck, or car when I point to it but this is VERY rare.


Here are the 17 month milestones that we should have exceeded:


1. Uses a handful of words regularly
Well if we count sounds as word then yes. They do say ba (ball), cark (car), Cruck (truck), Crck (cracker), cook (cookie), dis (this), dat (that) etc. regularly. I would assume a hand full is 5 right

2. Responds to directions (e.g. "Sit down")
YES, we can do this !!!!

3. Dances to music
For sure they looooooooove to dance!

4. Enjoys pretend games
Is peekaboo a pretend game? If so then heck yah. They also like to bring my pretend food from their play kitchen and I pretend to eat it and pretend to eat it too. They like to put random things on their head too pretending it is a hat and thinking they are silly.

5. Feeds doll-I just tried when I saw this and they think it is hilarious to put a spoon up to their stuffed animals mouth.

6. Sorts toys by colour, shape, or size
Not even close. Colour, holy poop they don't have a clue what a colour is! Shape, well okay they do collect balls or cars and pile them up.

7. Likes riding toys
Heck yeah since they were about 10 months

8. Talks more clearly
Well it is all relative but yes more clearly than last month

9. Kicks ball forward
yep, but only once or twice ever. They are pretty coordinated though.

I know I sound like some crazy mom who is obsessed with Milestones and that isn't 100% the truth. I always say I just want happy kids and I really do mean that. I just want to make sure I am doing everything to facilitate their learning and if they need extra assistance I want to identify it early on. Anyways, I love these guys and they make me laugh all of the time. They play together really well and are real characters. As the months progress we really get to see their personalities emerge and it is so much fun.



 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like they are doing really well! :) I could have checked almost all the same things with Lids. Sorting toys by colour?! What!?? Nooo. That seems crazy. We haven't actually tried this but Lids certainly isn't doing this on her own. And I definitely count those sounds as words. Over here bird is bir, book is boo, dog is daw, and so on. I am pretty sure that counts if you know what they are trying to say. And the words thing.. I have read and heard from others that most peds say at least 5 to 20 words at 18 months because kids vary so much in this area, so it sounds like your boys are doing awesomely with this. Lids maybe had about 20 words at 18 months, but like you boys, she only used a few of those everyday... probably about 4! Your boys are doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 18 months to the boys! I also think it sounds like they are doing really well! where did you get these lists from? I really have no clue what things should be happening right now lol

    ReplyDelete