Thursday, September 2, 2010

Explosion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously people my head is going to blow up. I am so freaking mad, frustrated and disappointed. So needless to say the study does not cover IVF just the medications that we would be taking. Now I have some tough decisions to make.....ugh!! I suck at making decisions and this isn't a small one. First I have to figure out what medications I would be paying for (if I did IVF outside of the study). Does anyone know the names and amounts of the prescribed medications that an endo girl of mature age like myself would have to take? Then I have to decide if the money I save on the drugs makes up for the fact that the study only allows me to implant 1 embryo. How many embryos do most people implant? I had always thought we would try two! Is there a big difference in success rate in single versus double transfers?
Now the thing that pisses me off is that after all of this time this new fertility doctor mentions that G's sperm Morphology sucks. He says it should be over 30% and it is only 6% good sperm. Although I looked it up online and read various things, some saying anywhere from 2%-6% was normal and others saying that 30%-50% was normal.
Please let me know what you have been told is normal?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much about IVF drugs, but I can tell you a little more about sperm morphology. According to WHO standards, anything below 30% is considered "abnormal". I would ask to see your specific semen analysis results...and that way you have hard numbers to work with.

    I know this is all frustrating. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's a few answers to your questions.
    the meds prescribed would likely be the following:
    lupron or ganirelix/cetrotide (depending on the protocol)
    some sort of FHS (follistim or gonal-f usualy)
    progesterone support for your luteal phase...


    the most expensive piece is the follistim/gonal-f. that can run you around $2-5K (in the US) depending on how much you need.

    again, a lot of this really depends on the protocol and how well you respond to meds. i would definitely talk with an RE about their ideas on what might work best for you.

    as for morphology.. its a mixed bag. the data on it is pretty crappy and so some doctors believe it is important and others don't. regardless, with IVF, you only need a few good ones, so 6% is fine! no worries. my dh's morphology has varied between 6% and 15%.

    and finally, for # to transfer, for first IVF cycles, success rates are usually similar with a single vs 2 embryo transfer. but traditionally, many people transfer 2 if you have 2 blasts (ie, they make it to day 5 in the test tube)..

    feel free to email me if you have more questions.

    ReplyDelete